Konichiwa! Ohayo gozaimasu! Please pardon my Japanese. These are the only phrases I know including Arigato! This will be the debut of our food related blog. We are going to feature bunch of restaurants, cafes, and bars primarily here in UAE. As the time goes by, we’ll feature our favorites and yet to be discovered.
For this blog, it’s all about ATISUTO which basically means “artist”. It is a Japanese inspired restaurant with a fusion of traditional and modern design. We visited their Al Ghurair Mall branch and we are welcomed by the huge portraits, colourful graffiti, Noh masks and paper fan lanterns. The ambience is amusing and it has a distinct street vibe similar from the origin. Probably, you already have heard of ATISUTO but allow us to tell you why you should trust their chef.
We were pleasantly surprised by Marvin’s (server) warmth greetings and genuine advice. He particularly pointed out “OMAKASE” literally means Chef’s choice. It is a five course set meal costs for 120AED. Omakase includes the following:
- Miso Soup – with tofu, wakame and scallion. This succulent soup sets the tone for the entire course.
- Starter Platter – Chicken gyoza – a pan fried dumpling; Harumaki – a crispy spring roll; Chicken yakitori – grilled skewer; Ebi tempura – light and crunchy deep fried prawn with panko breadcrumbs.
- Sushi Platter – includes fresh and delicious maki rolls, crispy crab sandwich, and Nigiri salmon and tuna. Of course served with wasabi , thinly sliced ginger and soy sauce.
Main Course – you can choose between Donburi or Ramen. We chose Donburi because we wanted to try the beef teriyaki.
- Dessert – chocolate fondant with strawberry sorbet
Our server Marvin served the courses one after the other until it was time for dessert. The chocolate fondant with strawberry sorbet was spot on. I could’t stop eating. The cake was served warm and placed on a cold plate. The bitter sweet taste of the cake matches the sorbet.
In fact, we also ordered their Ichiban Bento box which includes tuna sashimi, salmon yuzu miso, crab salad, beef teriyaki (yes, again!) and miso soup. All dishes served with their signature sauces/dips. Everything tastes awesome and savory!
Omakase was really a great deal. If you don’t have big appetite it can be shared by two. It caters almost Atisuto’s specialties in the menu. It encapsulates the traditional Japanese style dinner which allows the chef’s selection to give customers a remarkable dining experience. Atisuto’s menu has been elevated to an exquisite level, casual yet authentic Japanese food at a reasonable price.
By the way, even the cold lemon iced tea is refreshing and free.
Check out their branches.
- Al Ghurair Mall, Deira Dubai
- Bay Square, Business Bay, Dubai
- Ibn Battuta Mall, Dubai
- Galleria Mall, Al Wasl, Dubai